Your roof protects you from weather elements such as rain and solar radiation, protects your foundation and helps insulate your home. That’s how important the roof is. And if it were to leak, you could find yourself in a huge problem.
Knowing when to install a new roof is easy, but how much will it cost you to replace or install a new roof. Below is a simplified process to help you through the process of roof installation and replacement. You will know what factors affect the cost of your installation and replacement.
In general, a roof pitch is the gradient of your roof. Unless you have a flat roof, your roof will definitely have a slope. Pitched roofs are more expensive than flat roofs. This is because they use more materials and they are much harder to install. Sophisticated designs such as Victorian have a higher gradient, making them more expensive to install.
As much as they are expensive, adding a pitched roof has its advantages, including:
- Pitched roof are long lasting
- They are easier to inspect for damages
- They react better to inclement weather.
Materials you use
The roof material you choose greatly affects the overall cost. The good news is that there are a variety of materials to choose from. Each option has its own set of pros and cons in terms of cost, design and lifespan. Talk to Minneapolis roofing contractors to help you choose the best material for your home.
Here is a list of the most popular options.
- Asphalt Shingles: This is the most popular option because of its low cost, resiliency and easy installation. However they do have a short lifespan compared to other materials.
- Wood shingles: These are available in pine, cedar and other woods, with cedar being the most popular choice. The installation might be costly but they have a long lifespan with easy maintenance.
- Tiles: Tiles require extra reinforcement to install since they are heavy. Clay and concrete tiles come in various varieties with fire resistant properties. Some are able to reflect excess radiation, resulting in lower energy costs. Clay tiles can last for about 50 years while slate tiles can go for over a 100 years. However, do not use slate tiles in regions with hot climates.
- Metal roofs: This is gaining popularity in recent years. This is because they are very durable and lighter than any other material. They are coated to resist weather elements.
Size of your roof
The size of your roof plays an essential role in the overall cost of installation. The bigger the roof the more money it will cost you. Since you cannot change the size of your roof, the cost is fixed and you cannot reduce it unless you use cheaper materials which is not advisable.
Your roof plays a crucial role in your home’s aesthetics and protection. While cheaper materials and styles might seem tempting, they are usually more expensive in the long run since they require constant maintenance. The best Minneapolis roofing contractors agree that expensive and high quality materials can improve your home’s value and reduce premiums.